Ocean Training Course 2019 > Home
As part of the EO Science For Society – scientific exploitation programme element, the European Space Agency (ESA) is organising an Advanced Ocean Synergy Training Course devoted to train the next generation of Earth Observation (EO) scientists to exploit data from ESA and Third Party Mission instruments for ocean (e.g. Copernicus Sentinels) science and application development.
The training course is being organised by ESA in cooperation with the Technical University of Crete and will be held at the Venetian Arsenali building at the Center of Mediterranean Architecture, Chania, Crete (Greece) from 04 to 08 November 2019.
Post graduate, PhD students, postdoctoral research scientists and users from European countries and Canada interested in Ocean Remote Sensing and Synergy are invited to apply to the 5-day course. Research scientists and students from all other countries are also welcome to apply and participate to the course subject to availability of places.
No participation fees will be charged for the training but participants are expected to cover their own travel and accommodation expenses (financial support is not available).
The official language of the training course is English.
COURSE AIM AND OBJECTIVES
Using a series of lectures and laboratory classes, group-work and discussion, the aim of the course is to develop new skills in the application of complementary satellite ocean remote sensing data sets and their application in synergy for science and applications serving society. The course will include:
- Training the next generation of European and Canadian Principal Investigators (PIs);
- The theoretical principles and application of Ocean Colour Radiometry, Infrared and Passive Microwave Radiometry, Biogeochemical, Sea Surface Temperature, and Sea Surface Salinity retrievals;
- The theoretical principles and application of synthetic aperture radar and radar altimetry;
- Hands-on exercises using SAR, Optical, Infrared, Passive Microwave, and Altimeter data, tools/toolboxes and methods for the exploitation of EO satellite data in synergy over the ocean;
- Stimulating and supporting the exploitation of the ESA Earth Explorer and Copernicus Sentinel Missions.
08-10-2019: Selction process completed
24-05-2019: The applications are open now and will close on the 01 September 2019.
To apply, please click HERE